- Modifies the boot animation, colors, text, and background
- Modifies the resume from hibernation screen as well
- Will create the animation from 105 BMP, PNG, GIF, or TIFF images or use a single (non-animated) image
- Does not require any other applications.
- Designed to be idiot-proof by having numerous checks
- Automatically backs-up the modified files
- Does not require test-signing or no-integrity-checks to be enabled
- Works for all versions of Windows 7: any language, any edition, 32-bit or 64-bit, RTM or SP1
- Available in English, German, Spanish, Russian, Italian, French, Dutch, Hungarian, Hebrew, and Vietnamese.
- Works even if your setup has the hidden “System Reserved” partition
- Can be run as a GUI, command-line program, or installer/uninstaller
If you choose to change the animation you will have to make an animation! The animation is:
- 105 frames (if there are less frames the last frame will be repeated as necessary)
- Each frame is 200x200px (resized if necessary)
- 15 frames / sec
- First 4 seconds play once then the last 3 seconds play in a loop
The program loads a folder containing all the frames as PNGs, GIFs, BMPs, TIFs, or JPEGs images. The files will be played in alphabetical order. If you are numbering them, use the same number of digits for all numbers (e.g. 001, 002, …, 103, 105). For ‘historical’ reasons, the animation can also be a folder containing a single BMP named “activity.bmp” that is 200x21000px.
Transparency (in PNGs and GIFs) is supported (except when a message is behind the animation).
It you want no animation, set the static image as a single pixel image that is transparent.
Videos and animations, such as GIF, AVI and MPEG files, can be converted into a sequence of PNGs using ffmpeg. I have made a utility to make this very simple: video2png.
You can make the animation with any picture-editing software, but the following are recommended:
- Jasc Animation Shop (free), to export the animation:
- Choose “Edit -> Select All”
- Choose “File -> Save Frames As…”
- Change “Save as type” to “Portable Network Graphics (*.png)”
- Click “Save”
- Corel Jasc Animation Shop
- Adobe Flash, to export the animation:
- Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Premiere, to export the animation:
- Choose “File -> Export -> Media…”
- Change “Format” to “PNG”
- On the “Video” tab, set width and height to 200, aspect ratio to “Square Pixels (1.0)”, and check “Export as sequence”
- Click “Export”
- Adobe Photoshop, to export the animation:
- Choose “File -> Export -> Render Video…”
- Select “Image Sequence” and choose “PNG”
- Click “Render”
How to Use:
Start the application, the main interface of Windows 7 Boot Updater allows to modify the boot screen (Booting tab) and the resume from hibernation screen (Resuming tab). Each tab allows to modify the boot screen text, background color, animation (static image or animation), etc.
Text for “© Microsoft Corporation” and “Starting Windows” can be modified under the Message 1 and Message 2 tabs.
When you finish your customization, click Apply.